Skip to main content

A true teacher:

The Story of Mark Eklund (A True Story)
by Sister Helen Mrosla

He was in the first third grade class I taught at Saint Mary's School in Morris, Minnesota. All 34 of my students were dear to me, but Mark Eklund was one in a million. Very neat in appearance, he had that happy-to-be-alive attitude that made even his occasional mischievousness delightful.

Mark talked incessantly. I had to remind him again and again that talking without permission was not acceptable. What impressed me so much, though, was his sincere response every time I had to correct him for misbehaving. "Thank you for correcting me, Sister!" I didn't know what to make of it at first, but before long I became accustomed to hearing it many times a day.

One morning my patience was growing thin when Mark talked once too often, and then I made a novice teacher's mistake. I looked at Mark and said, "If you say one more word, I am going to tape your mouth shut!" It wasn't ten seconds later when Chuck blurted out, "Mark is talking again." I hadn't asked any of the students to help me watch Mark, but since I had stated the punishment in front of the class, I had to act on it. I remember the scene as if it had occurred this morning. I walked to my desk, very deliberately opened my drawer and took out a roll of masking tape. Without saying a word, I proceeded to Mark's desk, tore off two pieces of tape and made a big X with them over his mouth. I then returned to the front of the room. As I glanced at Mark to see how he was doing, he winked at me. That did it! I started laughing. The class cheered as I walked back to Mark's desk, removed the tape, and shrugged my shoulders. His first words were, "Thank you for correcting me, Sister."

At the end of the year, I was asked to teach junior-high math. The years flew by, and before I knew it, Mark was in my classroom again. He was more handsome than ever and just as polite. Since he had to listen carefully to my instruction in the "new math," he did not talk as much in ninth grade as he had in third. One Friday, things just didn't feel right. We had worked hard on a new concept all week, and I sensed that the students were frowning, frustrated with themselves and edgy with one another. I had to stop this crankiness before it got out of hand. So I asked them to list the names of the other students in the room on two sheets of paper, leaving a space between each name. Then I told them to think of the nicest thing they could say about each of their classmates and write it down. It took the remainder of the class period to finish the assignment, and as the students left the room, each one handed me the papers. Charlie smiled. Mark said, "Thank you for teaching me, Sister. Have a good weekend." That Saturday, I wrote down the name of each student on a separate sheet of paper, and I listed what everyone else had said about that individual.

On Monday, I gave each student his or her list. Before long, the entire class was smiling. "Really?" I heard whispered. "I never knew that meant anything to anyone!" "I didn't know others liked me so much." No one ever mentioned those papers in class again. I never knew if they discussed them after class or with their parents, but it didn't matter. The exercise had accomplished its purpose. The students were happy with themselves and one another again.

That group of students moved on. Several years later, after I returned from vacation, my parents met me at the airport. As we were driving home, Mother asked me the usual questions about the trip, the weather, my experiences in general. There was a lull in the conversation. Mother gave Dad a sideways glance and simply said, "Dad?" My father cleared his throat as he usually did before saying something important.

"The Eklunds called last night," he began. "Really?" I said. "I haven't heard from them in years. I wonder how Mark is." Dad responded quietly. "Mark was killed in Vietnam," he said. "The funeral is tomorrow, and his parents would like it if you could attend." To this day I can still point to the exact spot on I-494 where Dad told me about Mark.

I had never seen a serviceman in a military coffin before. Mark looked so handsome, so mature. All I could think at that moment was, "Mark, I would give all the masking tape in the world if only you would talk to me." The church was packed with Mark's friends. Chuck's sister sang "The Battle Hymn of the Republic." Why did it have to rain on the day of the funeral? It was difficult enough at the graveside. The pastor said the usual prayers, and the bugler played taps. One by one those who loved Mark took a last walk by the coffin and sprinkled it with holy water. I was the last one to bless the coffin. As I stood there, one of the soldiers who acted as pallbearer came up to me. "Were you Mark's math teacher?" he asked. I nodded as I continued to stare at the coffin. "Mark talked about you a lot," he said.

After the funeral, most of Mark's former classmates headed to Chuck's farmhouse for lunch. Mark's mother and father were there, obviously waiting for me. "We want to show you something," his father said, taking a wallet out of his pocket. "They found this on Mark when he was killed. We thought you might recognize it." Opening the billfold, he carefully removed two worn pieces of notebook paper that had obviously been taped, folded and refolded many times. I knew without looking that the papers were the ones on which I had listed all the good things each of Mark's classmates had said about him. "Thank you so much for doing that," Mark's mother said. "As you can see, Mark treasured it." Mark's classmates started to gather around us. Charlie smiled rather sheepishly and said, "I still have my list. I keep it in the top drawer of my desk at home." Chuck's wife said, "Chuck asked me to put his in our wedding album." "I have mine too," Marilyn said. "It's in my diary." Then Vicki, another classmate, reached into her pocketbook, took out her wallet and showed her worn and frazzled list to the group. "I carry this with me at all times," Vicki said without batting an eyelash. "I think we all saved our lists." That's when I finally sat down and cried. I cried for Mark and for all his friends who would never see him again. 

The density of people in society is so thick that we forget that life will end one day. And we don't know when that one day will be. So please, tell the people you care for that they are special and important. Tell them, before it is too late.

Source: Simple truths promotional mail

Popular posts from this blog

What Your Child Needs Most From You as a Parent:

- > Parents often feel trapped in a cycle of buying educational toys and enforcing strict daily routines.   > In reality, true childhood development comes down to three human essentials that money cannot buy.   > Modern parents face constant pressure to optimize every hour of their child's day with schedules and gadgets.   > Real emotional growth happens simply through connection, space to discover, and a calm presence in moments of chaos. The Three Invisible Essentials of Early Childhood Modern parents are overwhelmed with endless advice, conflicting philosophies, and endless product recommendations. In the rush to optimize every moment of our children's lives, we risk missing the core elements that actually build confidence and emotional security. The truth is, young children do not need perfectly structured days or the latest gadgets; they need three essential, human experiences that only a responsive parent can provide. 1. Intention 2. Commitment 3. Puttin...

Seven key differences between Parenting in India and Dutch:

 - A Dutch mother, Ivana, recently shared her experiences living in Mumbai for nine years, highlighting seven key differences between parenting in India. She emphasises that neither approach is "better" or "worse," but rather they involve different trade-offs.  Key Differences in Parenting: According to her viral reflections on [Instagram](https://www.instagram.com/reel/DWJv7RLDM-z/), the primary contrasts include: * Community vs. Solo Marathon: In the Netherlands, parenting often feels like a "solo marathon". In Mumbai, she experiences a "real village" where family, neighbours, and the building community are always available to help. * Independence vs. Interdependence: Dutch culture raises children to be "fierceley independent," such as cycling to school alone at age eight. Indian parenting focuses on interdependence and being part of a larger, supportive system. * Child-Friendly Public Spaces: She notes that children in India are acce...

Click to read: We have together 850+ Articles, Videos and Resources:

Click below topic you want to read: ⬇️ Download Credence App if not yet downloaded: Browse, read through your area of interest and share the app with your connections.

ಪ್ರೊ. ಕೆ. ಎಸ್. ನಿಸಾರ್ ಅಹಮದ್ ರವರ ಜೀವನ-

- ಪ್ರೊ.  ಕೆ. ಎಸ್. ನಿಸಾರ್ ಅಹಮದ್ ಪ್ರೊ.ಕೆ.ಎಸ್.ನಿಸಾರ್ ಅಹಮದ್ (5 ಫೆಬ್ರುವರಿ 1936 - 3 ಮೇ 2020) ಕನ್ನಡದ ಪ್ರಮುಖ ಸಾಹಿತಿಗಳಾಗಿದ್ದರು. ಅವರ ಪೂರ್ಣ ಹೆಸರು 'ಕೊಕ್ಕರೆಹೊಸಳ್ಳಿ ಶೇಖಹೈದರ ನಿಸಾರ್ ಅಹಮದ್'. ಅವರು ಬರೆದ 'ಜೋಗದ ಸಿರಿ ಬೆಳಕಿನಲ್ಲಿ ತುಂಗೆಯ ತೆನೆ ಬಳುಕಿನಲ್ಲಿ' ಎಂಬ ಪದ್ಯವು ಬಹಳ ಜನಪ್ರಿಯವಾಗಿ ಅವರು ನಿತ್ಯೋತ್ಸವ ಕವಿಯೆಂದೂ ಕರೆಯಲ್ಪಡುತ್ತಿದ್ದರು. Image source: Online typing ಜೀವನ- ಪ್ರೊ. ನಿಸಾರ್ ಅಹಮದ್ ಬೆಂಗಳೂರು ಜಿಲ್ಲೆಯ ದೇವನಹಳ್ಳಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಫೆಬ್ರುವರಿ ೫, ೧೯೩೬ ರಲ್ಲಿ ಜನಿಸಿದರು. ೧೯೫೯ ರಲ್ಲಿ ಭೂವಿಜ್ಞಾನದಲ್ಲಿ ಸ್ನಾತಕೋತ್ತರ ಪದವಿ ಪಡೆದರು. ೧೯೯೪ ರ ವರೆಗೆ ವಿವಿಧ ಸರಕಾರಿ ಕಾಲೇಜುಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ಅಧ್ಯಾಪಕ ಹಾಗು ಪ್ರಾಧ್ಯಾಪಕರಾಗಿ ಕೆಲಸ ಮಾಡಿ ನಿವೃತ್ತರಾದರು.             ಜನನ 5 ಫೆಬ್ರುವರಿ 1936 ದೇವನಹಳ್ಳಿ, ಮೈಸೂರು ಸಂಸ್ಥಾನ, ಬ್ರಿಟಿಷ್ ಇಂಡಿಯಾ              ಮರಣ 3 ಮೇ 2020 (ವಯಸ್ಸು 84)[೧] ಬೆಂಗಳೂರು ವೃತ್ತಿ ಸಾಹಿತಿ, ಪ್ರೊಫೆಸರ್ ಭಾಷೆ ಕನ್ನಡ ರಾಷ್ಟ್ರೀಯತೆ ಭಾರತ ಪ್ರಕಾರ/ಶೈಲಿ Fiction ಸಾಹಿತ್ಯ ಚಳುವಳಿ ನವ್ಯ ಕಾವ್ಯ ಪ್ರಮುಖ ಕೆಲಸಗಳು ಮನಸು ಗಾಂಧಿ ಬಜಾರು(1960) ನಿತ್ಯೋತ್ಸವ ಪ್ರಮುಖ ಪ್ರಶಸ್ತಿಗಳು ಪದ್ಮಶ್ರೀ (೨೦೦೮), ರಾಜ್ಯೋತ್ಸವ (೧೯೮೧) ಕೆಲವು ಸಾಹಿತ್ಯಗಳು : ನಿಸಾರ್ ಅಹಮದ್  ...

If you are in your office more than 2 hours without walking, you are not leading the school. You are managing paperwork:

 - A school is not run from a desk. It is led from the corridors. In business they call it MBWA — Management By Walking Around. In schools we call it the Walking Headteacher Principle. The best heads are never hidebound in the office. An office-bound head hears reports about the school. A walking head sees the real school. Why You Must Walk: 1. You See The Invisible Child From your office you only see the naughty child who is sent to you. When you walk at break, at toilet time, in the library, you see the quiet child alone, the bullied child, the hungry child. The child who will never knock on your office door. That 2-minute eye contact in the corridor can save a life. 2. You Kill Problems When They Are Small Office head: Hears about a fight after it happened. Walking head: Sees the push, the swear word, the group forming in the corner, and stops it with a "Hello, boys, everything okay?" before it becomes a fight. Discipline drops by 30-40% just by visible presence. 3. Staff ...

The final two steps — Analyse and Prevent — are where institutional improvement happens:

 - A parent sends a message at 9:00 in the morning: “My child’s notebook has not been checked properly for the last two weeks.” Nobody responds. At 1:00 PM, the parent sends another message. Still no clear response. The next morning, the parent calls reception. Reception says: “We will inform the coordinator.” The coordinator is busy. Another day passes. By the third day, the original notebook issue is no longer the real problem. Now the parent is angry because: Nobody listened Nobody took ownership Nobody communicated Nobody gave a timeline Nobody closed the issue A small academic concern has become a trust problem. This is how many school complaints escalate. Not because the original issue was impossible to solve. Because the school did not have a system to detect, own, resolve, and close the issue early. Strong schools should not only have a Complaint Handling System. They should have a Parent Complaint Prevention System. The objective is different. Complaint handling asks: “How...

Who is Sir Hajee Ismail Sait of Bangalore:

 - Fukhr-ut-Tojjar Sir Hajee Ismail Sait: A Legacy of Business and Philanthropy Fukhr-ut-Tojjar Sir Hajee Ismail Sait (1859-1934) was a prominent Indian businessman, philanthropist, and community leader who left an indelible mark on South India.  He was an Indian banker, businessman and community leader who served as a member of the Madras Legislative Council . Born in Periyakulam, Tamil Nadu, Sait's entrepreneurial journey began early, driven by a strong work ethic and a keen business acumen. A Business Empire Takes Shape Sait's first venture, the "English Warehouse," proved to be a resounding success, catering to the needs of the British community in Bangalore. His entrepreneurial spirit, however, did not limit him to a single venture. He diversified into a wide range of businesses, including mines, and manufacturing units. His astute business decisions saw him rise to become one of the wealthiest merchants in South India. Very quickly, Ismail Sait built on the succ...

School Operations Manual:

- A school is a complex organization where multiple activities should co-ordinate in sync. Each stake holder - Management, Teacher, Students, Parents and supportive staff, everyone has an important role to play. All these stake holders need to know their job, roles and responsibilities, and also the structure, policy and procedure of their work. Thus a team has come up with a 'school operations manual' to support schools in designing their school policies and procedures, which will help to strengthen the school system.  This manual outlines the significant policies and procedures covering a wide spectrum of activities in a school, starting from affiliation, curriculum planning, extra-curricular activities, value education, school administration, statutory compliances, HR, etc.  The core objective of this manual is to communicate, describe and help in implementing the best practices, policies and procedures so as to bring standardisation in our schools through collaboration. Ev...

Free remote learning access for schools and colleges- TCS iON Digital Glass Room:

In the wake of the nation-wide lockdowns, TCS is offering schools and colleges, access to the TCS iON Digital Glass Room, a virtual learning platform, free of cost, so students can continue learning at home through this unprecedented period. The TCS iON Digital Glass Room is a mobile and web education platform for schools and colleges, that empowers educators to engage with students in real-time by sharing lessons, videos, worksheets, assignments and assessments, using interactive methods like polls, debates, quizzes, surveys and many more tools. As an add-on, the platform also provides an embedded live classroom, which simulates live classroom teaching. TCS iON Digital Glass Room is available to educational institutes of all types, irrespective of the medium of instruction, Board/university affiliation, or size. Interested schools and higher education organizations can register for the platform by going to https://learning.tcsionhub.in/hub/glass-room/ Click to open: or copy a...

Students learn better in mother tongue; reflection from implementation at Niger:

- One teacher says, “It was really hard to teach under the traditional system. The new curriculum makes it much easier. It is easy for me as a teacher because I can easily pass on the learning to the students. And it is easy for students because they receive everything in their own language". - "When students go home and talk about what they learned, the parents can help them and this motivates everybody even more.” Click to read full article :